3 Steps to Enter the 2022 TGO Challenge
Due to the cancellation of TGOC20 and the postponement of TGOC21 to June there are a lot of people who have had a long wait to take up their place in 2022. This means that places for new entrants will of necessity be limited this year. Once those with guaranteed places have had a chance to apply any spare places can be applied from from 14th-29th October on this page. You never know you might be lucky and if not we very much hope to see you in 2023 when we hope to return to our normal entry process.
Step 1: Check your skills
Before entering the TGO Challenge you should have the following skills:
- Ability to navigate across pathless rugged terrain using map and compass (not solely reliant on GPS)
- Ability to carry personal and camping equipment and a minimum of 3 days provisions
- Previous experience of backpacking including “no trace” camping in a wild environment with no facilities
- Capacity to be self-sufficient in remote areas where help may not be easily accessible including suitable first aid skills.
- Ability to cope with Scotland’s climate which can commonly include high winds, torrential rain, rivers in spate, snow and occasionally hot sunshine!
All team members, not just the team leader, must have these skills. If you are uncertain about your skills please contact the coordinators, Sue & Ali, for advice on 01540 673360/673583 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Step 2: Read the Entry Notes
Even if you have completed multiple crossings you must read 2022 Entry Notes – Terms and Conditions before you apply as some things have changed. In particular please take not of the withdrawal and cancellation clauses. We try to keep rules to a minimum but you must agree to abide by those we have. You will be asked to confirm you have read and accepted them at the end of Entry Form. The 2022 Event Details giving details of how to plan and present your route are also now available.
Step 3: Complete the Entry Form before 29th October 2021
We are now open for entries from potential Challengers who did not have 2020/21 places. If this is your first Challenge you will be asked for details of your walking experience which the coordinators will assess. Occasionally we have to ask new applicants to gain more experience before participating. If you are part of a group you will be asked for the names of your companions and your group leader. Each team member must complete their own form.
We have a limited number of places available for TGOC22 as many participants have carried over places from 2020 and 2021. If needed a draw will take place after the closing date. Places will be confirmed and starting dates allocated by 7th November 2022 after which payment will be requested. TGOC22 fees will be:
- £80 – new applicants and those who participated in TGOC21
- £40 – those who deferred their paid 2020/21 place after 31st December 2020
- No charge – those who deferred their paid 2020/21 place on or before 31st December 2020